Makeup: The Essentials
While we definitely advocate opting for cosmetic surgery if you want to improve your appearance in a specific way, its always good to look well maintained and groomed whether or not you want to undergo a particular procedure. Below is our short and sweet list of a handful of makeup essentials you should try and incorporate into your routine. Remember: a full face of caked-on makeup is never attractive. The idea is to accentuate your best features and cover up your flaws. Try googling pictures of your favorite celebrities caught sans makeup and marvel at the drastic difference tasteful application of makeup can make.
- A smooth eye pencil: I think a lot of times people put too much importance on mascara and overlook eyeliner - in my opinion its much more indispensable. Liquid or gel eyeliners do help achieve a more dramatic, high octane look but for everyday usage, a pencil liner works best. Its elegant and make you look put together and chic while maintaining an aura of effortlessness. For people with darker skin tones, a black pencil works beautifully. For paler skin tones, a dark brown pencil is probably best for the day. Check for the smoothness of the pencil, coarser ones even if more affordable can be extremely frustrating and produce an uneven effect. Wing it to make your eyes look bigger. Note to people who wear contact lenses: try and limit the amount of eyeliner you use on your waterline, it can cause irritation and/or infections over a prolonged period of usage.
Extra tip: Pick up a silver or white eye pencil and smudge some on the inner corner rim of your eye. It really opens up your eyes!
- A great voluminizing mascara: I don't think I need to stress how much women love their mascaras. Especially in Western countries like out here, mascara is something every girl starts using at 15 or so and never puts down. The overlying benefit of this supposed "miracle" product is that it thickens the lashes, hence making your eyes look more dramatic and defined. While personally, I swear by a good eyeliner, for a lot of women (blondes especially), mascara is a requisite handbag addition. Pick a high quality piece that can be lengthening but preferably should be voluminizing. Try 2 quick coats for the day and make sure to use a lash comb prior to avoid clumping. For those going for a more subtle look (especially those with paler skin and lighter hair), a dark brown mascara can also work.
- A mineral based eyeshadow for daily use: Depending largely on your personal preference, chosen look, occupation and quite importantly eye color, pick a flattering shade that you can wear on a daily basis. Darker skinned women can even opt for grays and blacks applied minimally for a smokey look but paler women should stick with peaches, blues, grays and mauves. Similarly, darker skinned women can veer away from the nudes and off-whites. Cream based shadows also work but for more humid states, can prove to be detrimental. Apply within the hollow portion below your brow bone for the day to achieve a clean, minamilist appearance. Use a blending brush to blend it well, especially when working with multiple hues.
- The perfect concealer: While tons of women opt for a full-on foundation face, I prefer using only a concealer on a day to day basis. Its more natural, looks more effortless and appealing. Some women attribute their use of foundation to have bad skin but covering your skin with that much makeup may actually block your pores and cause further damage. Head over to the Bloomingdales or Sephora and pick a high end product up but make sure to consult the behind the counter professional and take their assistance in picking the exact right and perfect shade for your skin tone. This is of prime importance because there's nothing worse than raccoon eyes. Apply wherever coverage is needed and especially under your eyes to make up for a less than great night of sleep.
- A natural shade of lipstick: I love a red lip for the evening or if you work in a more creative environment but a lot of the times for the day, its more prudent to shoot for a natural look like a light pink. Try a status lipstick like Chanel and keep it in your bag with your compact at all times for touch ups.
This is our cohesive list of day essentials. Evening is a whole other story. But these are necessary for a groomed, well maintained everyday look. Any comments, questions, concerns, as always we're happy to answer and guide! Comment, tweet, facebook wall away!
And of course, if you've got something specific you'd like to accentuate about your appearance, cosmetic surgery is always an option. Dr Kwak at ESK Facial Plastic Surgery is one of New York's premier plastic surgeons. Take your first step by booking a consultation at the earliest if you believe this is for you.